Serving PCB and systems assembly manufacturers for decades
For more than 75 years, the technology offerings from Dowsil have helped PCB and systems assembly manufacturers across the value chain bridge the gap between cutting-edge innovation and successful performance.
Advanced material innovations
An extensive portfolio of silicone, polyurethane and hybrid technologies serving different needs across the value chain and end applications:
- Adhesives and sealants
- Conformal coatings
- Dielectric gels
- Electrically and thermally conductive materials
- Stress relief
- Heat dissipation
- EMI shielding
- Mil spec
- Processing ease
Cure profile options: conformal coatings
These coatings cure quickly at room temperature to provide a “dispense-and-forget” option that is tack-free and ready to move down the production line in less than 10 minutes, making them an ideal option for high-volume assembly operations.
Extended-working-time moisture cure
Silicone coatings in this category also cure at room temperature but permit more time for the material to flow further over large or complex boards. They also are the preferred option for applications that require a thicker coating.
Sometimes labeled “command cure” for the control they allow over the rate of cure, coatings in this category are the material of choice when your processing operation demands full cure in under five minutes. They also may impose lower stress on board components during thermal cycling.
NOW: UV and moisture dual cure
DOWSIL™ CC-8030 cures in seconds with a secondary moisture cure for shadowed areas. Designed for automated spray coating, in line processing for reduced WIP.
Silicones UV and moisture dual cure: Distinct combination of features
BTEX solventless*, and the UV curability of this product dramatically improves throughput, offers a sustainable eco-friendly environment for workers, and saves the energy consumptions compared with heat curing.
- A conformal coating designed for spray processing.
- Fast cure with broad spectrum UV light exposure (mercury lamp).
- Secondary moisture cure for shadowed areas.
- Soft low modulus.
- High elongation.
- Improves reliability against stress.
Most distinct silicones characteristics can now be leveraged with speed of UV Cure.DOWSIL™ CC-8030 Dual Moisture Cure Conformal Coating is solvent free, being manufactured without added solvent.
Conformal coatings trends
General segment trends and implications for conformal coatings
- System integrated
- Improved dielectric protection
- Smaller devices
- Higher speed
- Low power consumption
- Smaller PCBs and electronic components vs higher power and efficiency
- Use of electronic components in very harsh environments
- Higher need for protecting electronic circuits
Material needs for conformal coatings
- For harsher environments:
- Excellent protection in highly humid environments
- Contamination protection
- Excellent flame retardancy and electrical properties
- Less VOC
- BTEX solventless
- UV cure
- Moisture cure coatings (100% solid silicones)
Conformal coatings key trends that DOWSIL™ CC-8030 addresses
- Color: Translucent
- Viscosity (cP)*: 520
- Tack-free time at 25ºC: UV cure seconds
- UV curing condition (H-type bulb)**: 2000 mJ/cm2
- Hardness (shore A): 30
- Tensile strength: 120 psi
- Elongation: 85%
- Dielectric strength (V/mil): 575
The information is presented here for illustrative purposes only and should not be construed as product specifications.
*High shear cone and plate viscosity
**Standard mercury broad spectrum UV lamp H lamp/bulb (spectrum in UV A, UV B and UV C)
Features and benefits: sustainable ecofriendly processing
- Does NOT contain benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene or xylene
- No added solvents and sprayable.
- No isocyanates
- Secondary moisture is a neutral cure
- Fast primary UV cure;
- Minimizes the need for high temperature ovens
- Reduces floor space staging WIP
- Reduces oven time
Sustainable ecofriendly processing
- Reduce cure temperature
- Reduce cure time
- Reduced processing floor space and capital by minimizing WIP staging and Large ovens.
- Increase overall output
Features and benefits: High throughtput
Designed for fast-in-line processing
- Rheology designed for spray coating
- Extended in dispense line working time
- UV cure in less than a minute – standard mercury broad spectrum UV lamp; H-lamp/bulb (spectrum In UV A, UV B and UV C)
DOWSIL™ CC-8030 features and benefits: rapid UV cure
- Tack free after less than 10 seconds @300 mW/cm2
- No oxygen inhibition
Features and benefits: rapid UV cure
- Standard mercury
- Broad spectrum UV lamps
- H lamp/bulb
- (Spectrum In UV A, UV B and UV C)
|Time (s)||Intensity (mW/cm2)|
DOWSIL™ CC-8030 benefits: adhesion
- Good adhesion demonstrated on typical electronics substrates.
- Good adhesion to cured silicone materials
Features and benefits: greater level of protection
- Improves reliability in humid environments
- Greater operational temperature range -45 to 200 °C
- Protects PCBs and other electronic components against environmental particles, moisture and contaminants, reducing short circuits and corrosion of conductors and solder joints
- Good dielectric properties (insulation, moisture resistance, breakdown voltage)
- Rheology designed for spray coating single layer of 2 to 8 mils (50 to 200 µ)
- Use of a multi-layer coating to achieve 15 to 25 mils (380 to 635 µ) is possible with DOWSIL™ CC-8030. This enables replacing traditional dam and fill.
USP: Low Modulus for delicate components
Compared to leading acrylated urethane UV cure coatings, DOWSIL™ CC-8030 offers notably improved system reliability.
- Underwriters laboratory UL 94
- Flammability test
- IPC 830
- Standard for non-military applications
How are conformal coatings selected?
OEM Design validates with a specific conformal coating
- Coat boards in house.
- Use Contract Manufacturer (CM) to produce to their BOM.
CM Quoted to do a design build
- CM Proposes BOM based on their preferred materials and equipment.
Industry specification leads design requirements.
- End product use requires additional documentation.
- UL 94 Pending
- IPC-CC-830 Pending
Package sizes available
- 150 g (6 oz) cartridge in foil bag
- 5 gallon (18 kg) pail available
- Sampling available
- No added solvents
- No isocyanates
- Fast primary UV cure
- With secondary moisture is a neutral cure
- Soft/Reduced stress
- Adhesion to typical electronics substrates
- Available *NOW* in cartridges for sampling